SUMMARY OF THE PRINCIPAL RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF THE PASSENGER, OF THE CARRIER AND OF THE PORT TERMINALS IN REGULAR SEA TRANSPORT Law 3709/2008 (Government Gazette Bulletin 213 A) as amended by Article 35 of Law 4150/2013 (Government Gazette Bulletin 102 A/29-04-2013)
A.RIGHTS OF THE PASSENGER
The passenger has the right to:
- Repudiate the transport contract and be reimbursed, depending on the time of exercise of the right, for all or part of the freight or to modify his/her ticket.
- Receive pecuniary compensation in the form of a percentage on the freight or other compensation upon agreement with the carrier in case of delay, interruption-cancellation of the voyage due to a breakdown of or damage to the ship or due to the carrier’s fault. Moreover, as long as certain requirements are fulfilled, the passenger has the right to receive catering and accommodation by care and at the expense of the carrier, when the delay or cancellation or interruption of the voyage creates the need for overnight accommodation.
- Be notified in case of cancellation, change or delay of the scheduled route, provided that he/she has made his/her contact details known.
- Be informed, in case of a delay during the voyage, of the estimated time of arrival and of the reasons thereof.
- Carry hand-luggage weighing up to 50 kg, without paying any additional freight.
- Reach his/her destination with the same or the first available ship or another ship by care and at the expense of the carrier in case of a breakdown of or damage to the ship.
- Address the designated officer of the ship in order to lodge any complaints during the voyage; at first, to address the ship-owning company (carrier) or any other person as prescribed by the law and to formulate in writing, on a standard form, any complaint or claim arising pursuant to the provisions of the law. Any disputes that are not resolved or which no answers or sufficient explanations were given to shall be referred to the Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Insular Policy.
Passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility are additionally entitled to:
- Assistance free of charge and suitable access to the ship and, as appropriate, to the port facility of embarkation and disembarkation provided that, at the issuance of the ticket or at the latest 48 hours before the delivery of assistance, the passengers informs the issuer of the ticket or the carrier that assistance is needed and he/she is at a designated point at a specific time, which shall not exceed 60 minutes from the scheduled departure time of the ship.
- Carry free of charge any equipment or device required for his/her autonomous movement.
B.OBLIGATIONS OF THE PASSENGER
The passenger is obliged to:
- Arrive at the port half an hour before the scheduled departure time of the ship and bring his/her vehicle at the boarding waiting area at least 1 hour before the departure time.
- Occupy the place indicated on the ticket, not put his/her baggage or other objects on his/her seat or on the seats of other passengers and comply with the ship’s regulations as well as with the instructions given by the captain or the crew regarding the peace, good order, cleanliness and safety of the ship.
- Not carry explosive, inflammable, incendiary and dangerous materials in general.
- Provide his/her correct particulars and, if the passenger so desires, his/her contact details, so as to be notified in case of delay or cancellation of the trip.
- Not transfer his/her ticket.
C.OBLIGATIONS OF THE CARRIER
The carrier is obliged to:
- Publicly announce the itineraries and timely inform the public regarding any cancellation or amendment.
- Announce to the passengers in manners accessible to them any delay of departure and arrival of the ship, stating both the estimated time of arrival and the reasons of such delay. Provide assistance free of charge to persons with disability or with reduced mobility and appropriate access conditions provided that, at the issuance of the ticket or at the latest 48 hours before the delivery of assistance, the passengers informs the issuer of the ticket or the carrier that assistance is needed and he/she is at a designated point at a specific time, which shall not exceed 60 minutes from the scheduled departure time of the ship.
- Inform about prices, discounts as well as the possibility to offer assistance to passengers with disability or passengers with reduced mobility.
- Maintain organised procedures for recording and resolving or answering of complaints - grievances.
D. OBLIGATIONS OF THE PORT TERMINAL
The operator of port terminal is obliged to:
- Provide information on the possibility to provide assistance free of charge to persons with disability or reduced mobility as well as on the available access conditions.
- Maintain organised procedures for recording and resolving or answering of complaints – grievances.
- Announce to the passengers, within its capabilities, in manners accessible to them any delay of departure and arrival of the ship, stating both the estimated time of arrival and the reasons of such delay.
For more information about the principal rights and obligations of the passengers, of the carriers and of the port terminals in regular sea transport, passengers may contact the Port Authorities or visiting the website of the Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Insular Policy (www.yen.gr )